National University of Ireland Galway (NUIG)Call now
Highlights of Studying in National University of Ireland Galway (NUIG)
Permanent Residence (PR) in just 2 years
86 courses are offered making it one of the largest universities in Ireland.
Free Counselling by our expert counsellors at GoIreland.
CGPA as low as 6.0 accepted for post graduate programmes.
Simple and hassle-free application process.
Awarded the full five QS stars for excellence.
IELTS requirement is just an overall score of 6.0.
Ranked among the top 1% of universities according to the 2018 QS WUR.
FREE 1 – 1 Unbiased Counselling by IEAC Certified Consultants
National University of Ireland Galway
National University of Ireland Galway is one of the most prestigious universities in Ireland with a proven and distinguished track record of research and teaching. Located ideally in Galway that lies on the west coast of Ireland, this is one academic institution that provides international students the chance of undertaking a wide assortment of programs across the humanities, arts, law, business, health sciences, physical sciences, natural sciences and engineering categories.
NUI came into being in 1845 in the name of Queen’s College Galway. The university was named University College Galway more recently. It started with a total of 68 students and was one of the three Queen’s Colleges, with the other two located in Belfast and Cork. At present, the university is a member of the Coimbra Group which is a channel of 40 long-established European universities. The university has long been inspiring students and has also been successful in earning international recognition in the form of a research-based university with complete dedication towards high quality teaching.
From the time it came into being till date, NUI has grown on a massive scale both in reputation and size. The university takes care of five individual colleges namely:
Get all your doubts
clarified now for FREE
Thank you for choosing us
Our experts will get back to you at the earliest
- College of Arts, Social Sciences and Celtic Studies
- College of Engineering and Informatics
- College of Business, Public Policy and Law
- College of Science
- College of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
The campus of the university is quite picturesque and is located on the banks of the Corrib River. It is at a walking distance of 15 kilometers from Galway city centre and features new teaching, recreational and research facilities along with gothic style 19th century buildings that speak of stunning architecture. There is even a brand new €40 million worth Engineering Building that has been recently added to the campus along with a state-of- the-art Sports Centre and fully renovated Cultural Centre. The prestigious history of the university spans more than two centuries and its spectacular location speaks of exclusive culture and landscape. The global network of the university connects it to partners across the world while its researchers are busy working on shaping the future.
Why Study at NUI?
NUI Galway was previously a constituent college of the National University of Ireland and this was when it changed its name to University College, Galway. This title was retained by the university until the year 1997 when there were some changes made to the Universities Act and it got its name National University of Ireland Galway. Some good reasons why it makes sense to study at NUI are as follows:
- The university boasts of over 50 sports clubs and 110 active societies. The debating and literary society is the oldest society of the university founded in 1846.
- NUI was also named University of the Year 2018 in the Sunday Times University Guide. The university secured this prestigious award for the third time. It had won the inaugural title in the year 2002 and once again in the year 2009.
- The National University of Ireland Galway is Ireland’s topmost university in terms of employability. The university boasts of more than 98% graduates being employed or chosen for further studies within just six months of receiving their graduations.
- NUI is also Ireland’s most international university while its location, Galway is the most diverse city in the country. More than 3000 students from across 110 countries visit the university every year for getting admissions into undergraduate and graduate programs.
- It is also worth noting that the university has become partners with some of the most important cultural organizations across the Galway region for boosting research and teaching in the field of arts. The university serves as one of the most important players in what should be a celebration of the region’s exclusive spirit of innovation and creativity and its shared European culture.
- The student completion rate of the university is 87%
- The university has been successful in securing a total of 1, 924 internships for its students with employers across Ireland.
- More than 40 degree programs are offered at the university including community projects and work placements that allow students to have a clear understanding of the subject matter in real world context.
NUI Galway Ranking
NUI is a third level academic and research institution that has been awarded full five QS stars for excellence. The university ranks amongst the top 1% of the universities as per the QS World University Rankings 2018. The university is globally recognized for its international outlook and inspiring minds.
The university is recognized internationally for its excellence and is counted amongst the top 1% of universities across the world in the QS World University Rankings. During the past five years, NUI is the one and the only university in Ireland to have consistently risen in the highly competitive and recognized World University Rankings. Both Times Higher Education Rankings and QS Rankings have positioned NUI in higher positions year after year.
National University of Ireland Galway QS ranking has been consistent all throughout the years and it continues to perform strongly maintaining its position among some of the most elite academic institutions of the world. NUI world ranking is 260. NUI ranking in QS Engineering and Technology is 270 while it is between 251 and 3000 in QS Accounting and Finance ranking.
Postgraduate student at National University of Ireland Galway
The National University of Ireland Galway is basically a research-led university that speaks of a highly enhanced learning experience by a very strong spirit of inquiry. The university has built its traditional areas of learning and educational strength for offering internationally renowned and innovative taught and research-based programs. Masters programs in NUI are available in a broad portfolio of subjects or disciplines.
National University of Ireland Galway masters courses are for students who are in the lookout of higher education that can offer them an educational quality and learning experience that is far above the others in the same field. With a large number of registered students presently pursuing their further studies at the university, NUI is completely dedicated to continue with the tradition of improving the quality and the range of NUI postgraduate courses.
NUI graduate programs are of two types and they are:
- Postgrad Diploma, Higher Diploma and Master’s level taught programs.
- Research-based postgraduate programs where students need to spend two years on campus for their Master Degrees and then four years for their Structured PhDs or Doctoral Degrees.
The vibrant and beneficial cultural heritage of the city of Galway which is also called the Cultural Capital of Ireland plays an impressive and unique role in the social and academic experience of the students. Classes are all taught in the English language but at the same time the university maintains a very strong dedication towards the Irish language.
Students get the flexibility of choosing from the extensive variety of course offerings. Master’s degree in NUI is available in subjects like law, engineering, sciences, business and humanities. In order to take the best advantages of their study abroad experiences, majority of the students opt for courses in Irish language, culture and history. The taught postgraduate programs at NUI are generally of 1 year and they consist of a well-defined coursework structure along with a dissertation or research project. The taught masters programs at the university are perfect for students seeking deeper knowledge of subjects within a fully structured framework with proper scope for research as well.
List of Postgraduate Courses in NUI Galway
NUI provides a wide assortment of postgraduate courses along with part-time degrees and diplomas. The university boasts of flexible learning conditions, online learning alternatives and professional qualifications. There are a total of 60 academic disciplines that the university covers and the most important amongst them are Medicine and Health, Business and Management, Social Sciences, Humanities, Natural Sciences, Engineering and Technology, Mathematics, Law and Journalism.
Below it the list of courses in National University of Ireland Galway:
- Master of Accounting
- MSc in International Accounting and Analytics Pathway A
- MSc in International Accounting and Analytics Pathway B
- MSc in Computer Science - Artificial Intelligence
- MSc in Biomedical Engineering
- MSc in Biotechnology
- MSc in Business Analytics
- ME in Civil Engineering
- MApplSc in Enterprise Systems
- MSc in Computer Science - Data Analytics
- MSc in Digital Marketing
- ME in Electronic & Computer Engineering
- ME in Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- MSc in Astronomical Instrumentation and Technology
- ME in Energy Systems Engineering
- MSc in Water Resources Engineering
- MEconSc in International Finance
- MSc in Corporate Finance
- MSc in Business and Hospitality
- MSc in Human Resource Management
- MA in Journalism
- LLM in International & Comparative Business Law
- LLM in International and Comparative Disability Law and Policy
- LLM in International Criminal Law
- LLM in International Human Rights
- LLM in International Migration and Refugee Law and Policy
- LLM in Public Law
- ME in Biomedical Engineering
- MSc in International Management
- MSc in Information Systems Management
- MSc in International Marketing and Exporting
- MSc in Marketing Management
- ME in Mechanical Engineering
- MSc in Mechanical Engineering
- MApplSc in Occupational Safety Engineering and Ergonomics
- MSc in Neuropharmacology
- MSc in Health Psychology
- MSc in Software Design and Development
- MSc in Strategy, Innovation and People Management
- MSc in TechInnovation
- MA in Creative Arts: Producing and Curation
- MA in English
- MA in Film and Theatre
- MA in Film Production and Direction
- MA in Film Studies: Theory and Practice
- MA in Health Promotion
- MA in International Contemporary Literatures and Media
- MA in Playwriting & Dramaturgy
- MA in Public Advocacy and Activism
- MA in Social Work
- MA in Sports Journalism and Communication
- MA in Theatre Practice and Production
- MA in Writing
- MApplSc in Occupational Safety Engineering and Ergonomics
- Master of Clinical Education
- Master of Fine Art in Studio Art
- MHSc in Children's Palliative Care/Complex Care
- MHSc in Nursing - Public Health Nursing
- MHSc in Nursing: Acute Medicine
- MHSc in Nursing: Emergency Care
- MHSc in Nursing: Gerontology
- MHSc in Nursing: Intensive Care
- MHSc in Nursing: Oncology and Haematology
- MHSc in Nursing: Palliative Care
- MHSc in Nursing: Perioperative
- MHSc in Nursing: Wound Healing and Tissue Repair
- MSc in Applied Behaviour Analysis
- MSc in Biomedical Genomics
- MSc in Biomedical Science
- MSc in Cellular Manufacturing and Therapy
- MSc in Cheminformatics and Toxicology
- MSc in Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security
- MSc in Computational Genomics
- MSc in Environmental Leadership
- MSc in Exercise Physiology and its Application in Therapy
- MSc in Health Economics
- MSc in Health Psychology
- MSc in Mathematics
- MSc in Medical Physics
- MSc in Microscopy and Imaging
- MSc in Multidisciplinary Radiology
- MSc in Occupational and Environmental Health & Safety
- MSc in Podiatric Medicine
- MSc in Toxicology
- Professional Master of Education (Post-Primary)
Postgraduate Tuition Fee in NUI for International Students
With more than 16, 000 students and around 2, 200 staff members, NUI Galway has a highly recognized reputation for research and teaching excellence in the fields of engineering, arts, Celtic studies, social sciences, public policy, business and law. The university offers a wide assortment of postgraduate and undergraduate diplomas and degree of the highest international standards. These degrees offer students the scope of academic and personal development. They also give students the skills and the knowledge needed for pursuing successful careers. NUI’s approach to creative programs development automatically means that the courses have been duly designed to reflect the ever-changing requirements of the economy and the job market.
Master’s degree course fee in NUI are subject to change every year. Masters programs tuition fee in NUI starts at €6,400. Postgraduate tuition fee in NUI for international students starts at €15,550. It is worth noting that graduate programs tuition fee in NUI can be different for different disciplines undertaken by the students.
The average tuition fee in National University of Ireland Galway is:
- Tuition Fee for National University of Ireland Galway: €15,550
Postgraduate Entry Requirement for International Students in NUI
All applicants whose first language is not English should present proper documents showcasing their ability of meeting the postgraduate English requirement in NUI. This should be done prior to the NUI postgraduate application deadline. There is even an entrance interview that the students or applicants need to pass. The interviews are conducted by representatives that visit different countries or by way of video conferencing.
The entry requirement in National University of Ireland Galway is:
- Entry Requirement for National University of Ireland Galway (Percentage or CGPA): 60% or 6.0 CGPA
IELTS Requirement for National University of Ireland Galway
Postgraduate IELTS requirement in NUI for international students is a minimum IELTS band of 6.5 or equivalent with no section below 5.5. IELTS tests your reading, writing, listening and speaking skills and you are required to clear the minimum IELTS requirements in NUIG.
IELTS Requirement for National University of Ireland Galway is as follows:
- IELTS Requirement for National University of Ireland Galway: 6.5 with no section below 5.5
TOEFL Requirement for National University of Ireland Galway
Postgraduate TOEFL requirement in National University of Ireland Galway is 88. TOEFL tests your reading, writing, listening and speaking skills and you are required to clear the minimum TOEFL requirements in NUIG.
TOEFL Requirement for National University of Ireland Galway is as follows:
- TOEFL Requirement for National University of Ireland Galway 88
PTE Requirement for National University of Ireland Galway
Postgraduate PTE requirement in NUI is 61. PTE tests your reading, writing, listening and speaking skills and you are required to clear the minimum PTE requirements in NUIG.
PTE Requirement for National University of Ireland Galway is as follows:
- PTE Requirement for National University of Ireland Galway: 61
Undergraduate at NUI Galway
NUI undergraduate programs offer students the flexibility of studying a wide assortment of subjects across social sciences and humanities and even in other disciplines in their first year after school. There are even more specialized bachelors programs in NUI available in different specific subjects. These programs allow the students to have their focus on a certain subject from the very first year of their higher studies.
The duration of the NUI undergraduate courses vary by disciplines but majority of the degrees are for a time span of four years. There are some Arts and Business programs that can even be completed within a time span of three years while the one available in Medicine is a six-year undergraduate programme. National University of Ireland Galway bachelor courses are considered highly exclusive in Ireland mainly because there are programs also available in Human Rights, Marine Science, Exercise Engineering, Sports Engineering and Theatre and Performance. At NUI, they believe that the best type of learning generally happens when the students apply what they learn in the real world context. This is the reason why bachelors degree in NUI includes community assignments and study abroad opportunities along with proper placements.
Undergraduate courses in NUI
Making the choice of an undergraduate course in NUI is one of the most crucial decisions that students need to make. There are 50+ undergraduate degree programs offered by the university.
Undergraduate Tuition Fee in NUI for International Students
Bachelors degree course fee in NUI generally covers one academic year. Here, it is important to note that bachelors programs tuition fee in NUI are subject to change year after year. Undergraduate tuition fee in National University of Ireland Galway starts at €2, 598 for a basic undergraduate programme. Undergraduate programs tuition fee in NUI for international students can go up to €14, 750.
Undergraduate Entry Requirement for International Students
Applications submitted before NUI undergraduate application deadline are assessed on case by case basis. There are some programs that come with an additional undergraduate English requirement in NUI for students whose first language is not English. Undergraduate IELTS requirement in NUI is 6.0 while undergraduate TOEFL requirement in National University of Ireland Galway is 88. The undergraduate PTE requirement in NUI is 88 again.
Research at National University of Ireland Galway
The National University of Ireland is a world-recognized university known for its expert research-driven approach. The university lays great emphasis on interdisciplinary research programs along with collaborations with industry partners in subjects and areas that are considered strategically important. PhD in NUI boasts of a vibrant and innovative research ecosystem that speaks of a dynamic community attracting researchers, entrepreneurs, students and academics of the highest potential. The university has made some of the most meaningful contributions, both nationally and internationally, and to regions through its sets of research themes. The postgraduate research degree programme of the university offers students the opportunity of making some of the most exciting explorations and discoveries. The researchers at NUI take up some of the most challenging subjects of the 21st century for their research. They serve and even anticipate societal, cultural and economic requirements. Innovative research in the field of Celtic civilization, nanotechnology, historical change, integrated digital companies and human settlement are some of the academic specialties of the university.
NUI Scholarships for International Students
NUI is well aware of the fact that funding higher education can be quite challenging and thus supports the education of its students through a wide assortment of NUI international scholarships and funding opportunities. NUI scholarships for international students are available in generous packages. There are excellence scholarships awarded on the results taken in any one year of the leaving certificate examination of the students. Then there are Postgraduate Merit Scholarships aimed at teaching postgraduate programs in different areas. These scholarships come with a partial fee waiver of €2,000. NUI is completely committed to bringing in high potential students from across the world. This is the reason why the university offers a host of merit-based scholarships to eligible students.
List of Scholarships in National University of Ireland Galway for International Students
Scholarships are available from the Galway University Foundation. Students need to enquire regarding the availability of scholarships.
Below is the list of scholarships in National University of Ireland Galway
- 100% Tuition Fee Waiver Max Arthur Macauliffe Special Merit Scholarship
- 100% Tuition Fee Waiver Sir Peter Freyer Special Merit Scholarship
- €2,000 - Postgraduate Merit Scholarships