University of Limerick (UL)Call now
Highlights of Studying in University of Limerick (UL)
First university established since Irish independence in 1922
Expert Counselling by our experienced counsellors at GoIreland.
CGPA as low as 6.0 accepted for post graduate programmes.
Simple and hassle-free application process.
As many as 57 Postgraduate courses available.
91% of post graduates are in employment or further study.
University of Limerick is Sunday Times University of the Year 2019.
University of Limerick
The University of Limerick is an academic institution in Ireland which was granted university status in 1989. Currently standing as an independent institute which is internationally recognised the University of Limerick is home to 11,600 students and 1,300 members of staff or faculty. It’s a fine academic hotspot of learning, innovation and scholarship which prides itself on its young energetic vigour and its inculcating entrepreneurial spirit. UL's emphasis on research work is another distinguishing characteristic of the university. Its focus is not limited to the development of an academic perspective within students, however. Instead, students are inculcated with skills which are professionally relevant and needed in Ireland's present socio-economic context.
There are also a great variety of postgraduate programmes available for students to choose from and pursue. These studies are likely to be highly relevant to their industrial application once these students have graduated. The infrastructure available, alongside the expertise of the academic faculty at the University of Limerick, ensure that the quality of its undergraduate and postgraduate programmes is unrivalled. These are further benefited by the institute’s unprecedented teaching style and modern technology that it makes available to its students. Lastly, UL has a very reputable status among universities in Ireland as an innovative and contextual institution which has links to most professional industries. This helps direct the skills that students gain towards real-world application.
Get all your doubts
clarified now for FREE
Thank you for choosing us
Our experts will get back to you at the earliest
Why study at the University of Limerick?
The institution prides itself in delivering an education which inculcates both professional and personal growth within the student. The campus is a beautiful location situated alongside the river Shannon in Ireland and UL benefits also from the vibrant and enthusiastic community which has sprouted alongside this peaceful riverbank. Couple this with the fact that the University of Limerick offers world-class facilities for use by students during the course of your study and it's to understand why UL stands out as a place of scholarship and innovation. There are also 7 residential villages offered by the college itself, 6 of these are located on the campus and allow easy access to classrooms and other facilities of the university. The student experience which the university is often held to a high regard for is considered to be among the best in the world for higher tertiary education.
- 85% of UL’s 2012 graduate batch is currently either in employment or pursuing further studies. This stands as evidence for employers demanding University of Limerick graduates for their workforce.
- Support services are offered extensively by the university and free one-to-one consultations are also provided. Services such as career advice and information, career planning seminars, career fairs and vacancy notification are provided.
- 29th out of 30 of the world’s top Green universities. This ensures UL’s reputation as one of the most spectacular and environmentally friendly campuses in the world.
- International students represent one in five of the total student population at the University of Limerick. This has helped UL acclaim a spot in the top 200 most international universities in the world in the Times Higher Education rankings.
University of Limerick Ranking
University of Limerick QS ranking falls at 511 on the Global University Rankings which establishes it as one of the premier institutions in Ireland. Moreover, the University of Limerick ranking in other avenues distinguish it as a worthy place of higher learning as well. It’s ranked 29th out of 30 of the world’s top Green universities according to the GreenMetric Ranking of World Universities 2015. UL was also ranked among the top 200 most international universities in the world by the Times Higher Education rankings. These measure international connections of an institution by looking at the diversity of their academic staff, student body and the international research collaborations that they're a part of. With the growing population of Limerick recently crossing 90,000, the institution is quickly soaring in rankings at a place which is complete vigour, energy and unprecedented growth. These are indicators of the learning experience which UL offers its students.
Postgraduate at the University of Limerick
Master's degree at the University of Limerick is a highly well-regarded qualification and with over 103 taught programmes available currently at the university for its students, UL is a wonderful location for students wishing to further their professional and academic careers in the Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Health Sciences, Education, Business, Science and Engineering. Indeed masters programs in the University of Limerick are aimed at unleashing the potential of students which enrol and deliver a quality education which would be unparalleled if the same study was undertaken anywhere else.
One of the primary causes which distinguish the University of Limerick masters courses is the close ties with industry that the university maintains. It exploits these to continually update its programs and retain an innovative and flexible approach towards its curriculum in order to ensure the employability of its graduates. Further evidence for the employability guaranteed by University of Limerick postgraduate courses is the international placements which graduates receive after completing their education. Students travel to North America, Europe and SouthEast Asia for professional reasons. These professional and academic reasons set University of Limerick graduate programs apart from similar courses at other universities.
List of Postgraduate courses in University of Limerick
As mentioned above, with over 57 courses spread across various faculties, students can truly pursue what they wish to at UL. Consequently, these courses are highly student driven and emphasis on inculcating the students’ potential in accordance with their interests in order to deliver the best results possible in terms of performance. Some of these courses offered are listed below.
The list of courses in University of Limerick is as follows:
- List of Courses in University of Limerick :
- MSc in Aeronautical Engineering
- Master of Architecture
- MSc in Biomedical Device Materials
- MSc in Health Informatics
- MSc in Business Analytics
- MEng in Computer Engineering
- MEng in Information and Network Security
- MEng in Computer and Communications Systems
- Master of International Entrepreneurship Management
- MSc in Computational Finance
- MSc in Financial Services
- MA in International Tourism
- MSc in Human Resource Management
- MSc in Risk Management and Insurance
- MA in Journalism
- LLM in International Commercial Law
- LLM/MA in Human Rights in Criminal Justice
- MA in Business Management
- MSc in International Management and Global Business
- MSc in Marketing, Consumption and Society
- MSc in Advanced Engineering Materials
- MSc in Mechanical Engineering
- MEng in Mechatronics
- MSc in Project Management
- MA in Psychology
- MSc in Psychological Science
- MSc in Sport, Exercise and Performance Psychology
- MSc in Work & Organisational Psychology/Work & Organisational Behaviour
- MSc in Software Development: International Systems
- MSc in Software Engineering
- MSc/MA in Interaction and Experience Design
- MA in Creative Writing
- MA in English
- MA in Media Studies
- MA in Public Administration
- MSc in Advanced Healthcare Practice
- MSc in Applied Physics
- MSc in Design for Health and Wellbeing
- MSc in Economics & Policy Analysis
- MSc in Human Nutrition and Dietetics
- MSc in Nursing
- MSc in Nursing (Dementia Care)
- MSc in Nursing (Older Person)
- MSc in Nursing (Palliative Care)
- MSc in Nursing (Perioperative Care)
- MSc in Nursing (Psychosocial Interventions in Mental Health Care)
- MSc in Nursing Studies
- MSc in Occupational Therapy (Professional Qualification)
- MSc in Perinatal Mental Health
- MSc in Physiotherapy (Professional Qualification)
- MSc in Speech and Language Therapy (Professional Qualification)
- MSc in Sports Performance
- MSc in Sustainable Resource Management: Policy & Practice
- MSc/ MA in Art and Technology
- Professional Masters of Education
- Master of Artificial Intelligence
Postgraduate tuition fees at the University of Limerick for international students
Master's degree course fee at the University of Limerick for international students is higher than that for domestic students and for students from the European Union. However, when compared with postgraduate course fees in other countries such as the United States and the United Kingdom, Ireland does seem like the relatively inexpensive alternative. Furthermore, the postgraduate tuition fees at the University of Limerick also depends on whether you would be willing to pursue the programme as a part-time student or a full-time student. The biggest determiner, however, remains the course that you opt for and the most practical details can be found here
Approximately, full-time programs tuition fees at the University of Limerick for most courses should range from €11,616 to €50,038.
The average tuition fee in University of Limerick is:
- Tuition Fee for University of Limerick: €14,321
The postgraduate entry requirement for international students at the University of Limerick
Postgraduate entry requirements for international students at the University of Limerick are competitive. The university offers admissions on the basis of merit and performance at the undergraduate level is likely to be a determiner in the admissions process. Moreover, international students may also have to fulfil the Postgraduate English requirement at the University of Limerick through any of the administered English Proficiency Tests.
- Students who score 70% or more in their bachelor’s degree either in engineering, science, arts or commerce are more likely to get into. Another important criterion is the number of arrears or backlogs that you may have. Usually, the University of Limerick gives admissions to students with less than 5 arrears.
- Candidates with relevant work experience may have an added advantage.
IELTS Requirement for University of Limerick
A score of 6.5 with no section below 6.0 is the minimum IELTS Scores for University of Limerick. The test evaluates your listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
IELTS Requirement for University of Limerick is as follows:
- IELTS Requirement for University of Limerick: 6.5 with no section below 6.0
TOEFL Requirement for University of Limerick
Students, for whom English is not their primary language, should prove their English proficiency through score of 90 as it is the minimum TOEFL Scores for University of Limerick. The test evaluates your speaking, listening, reading and writing skills.
TOEFL Requirement for University of Limerick is as follows:
- TOEFL Requirement for University of Limerick: 90
PTE Requirement for University of Limerick
An overall score of 63, with no section score below 59 is the minimum PTE score requirement for University of Limerick to get an admit. The test evaluates your reading, writing, listening and speaking skills.
PTE Requirement for University of Limerick is as follows:
- PTE Requirement for University of Limerick: 63 with no section below 59
Undergraduate at the University of Limerick
Bachelor's degree in the University of Limerick is flexible and highly challenging programmes which inculcate professionally relevant skill sets in students. The university prides itself in the scholarship and research that students partake in year on year and with over 72 undergraduate programmes on offer, UL has something for each and every student. Bachelors programs at the University of Limerick are also unique in that they offer the largest cooperative education programme for their students. These include internships at reputed firms which can often deliver credits or be added onto CV and, in the best situations, lead to a permanent job after graduation. These factors have led to cooperative education becoming an integral part of the curriculum of the University of Limerick bachelor courses. Placements usually include an 8-month learning experience for most students and these are often termed highly transformative by the people who experience them.
With a network of over 1,700 cooperative education employers and 2,000 undergraduate placements being secured annually, UL is a professionally oriented institution which ensures that its undergraduate students have a skillset which prepares them adequately for the workforce upon the completion of their studies.UL also offers its students a dedicated support network with various support initiatives in place. One of the prized policies for its undergraduate students includes a dedicated international student support officer. Furthermore, the University of Limerick is a vibrant place of higher order learning proven by the existence of 70 clubs or societies which students can engage in.
Undergraduate courses in University of Limerick
With over 72 undergraduate programmes to offer at the University of Limerick, undergraduate students have ample choice to select how to pursue their further studies.
Undergraduate tuition at the University of Limerick for international students
Bachelor's degree course fee at the University of Limerick is again quite high for international (i.e. non-EU students) compared to students from the European Union. Again, the undergraduate tuition fees at the University of Limerick depends on the course which you opt for. Consequently, the figures given below are only rough sketches of the tuition cost you’d be paying. In order to get a fuller picture, you can find out further details here.
On an average, however, undergraduate programs tuition fee in the University of Limerick is likely to range from €11,000 to €18,000.
Undergraduate entry requirement for international students
Due to the competitive nature of the University of Limerick, admissions to undergraduate programmes require displays of adequate or excellent performance at the high school level. One of the primary requirements for admissions is merit. For international students whose first language is not English, an added Undergraduate English requirement in the University of Limerick is posed. This can be fulfilled by any of the three administered English proficiency tests including PTE, IELTS or TOEFL. Other guidelines for the admissions process are detailed below.
- Students require a school leaving certificate.
- Candidates with relevant work experience may have an added advantage.
Students, for whom English is not their primary language, should prove their English proficiency through minimum TOEFL score of 92, IELTS score of 6.5 with no section below 6.0or PTE score of 63, with no section score below 59.
Research at the University of Limerick
Research or PhD at the University of Limerick is a highly reputable and challenging avenue. Not only does it effectively guarantee career progression but it also explores highly contextual and relevant issues and is completely supported by the UL. Its present status as a high research focused institution was established via concerted efforts on the part of officials to bring together various disciplines in the process of discovering fundamental breakthroughs. This interdisciplinary approach towards research has led to the development of the following avenues. Materials and Surface Science, Information and Communication Technique, Bioengineering and Biosciences, Energy and Sustainable Environment, Applied Mathematics and Study of Knowledge in Society.
The transnational research which UL has conducted or sponsored has had an intensive impact on industry, community and society in general. This has to lead the university taking pride in its impact-oriented approach towards research. To read more on how various types of research conducted at the University of Limerick has had an impact on the wider world, you can look up more information here.
University of Limerick Scholarships for international students
There are a considerable number of University of Limerick international scholarships which are available for students. Scholarships can be offered by the university, the government of Ireland or private institutions. Though the last of the three is the hardest source of such finance. That being said, the university does offer a large number of scholarships for international students depending on the course they wish to pursue. It’s important that you take a look at the details about such scholarships before delving into the application process. If you wish to know which University of Limerick scholarships for international students are available presently, you can have a more detailed insight here.
List of scholarships in the University of Limerick for international students
Given the large number of scholarships which are available for international students at UL, below you’d find a concise list of some of the best financing options which you can apply for and make the process just a little bit easier for you.
The list of scholarships in University of Limerick is as follows:
- 25% Tuition Fee Waiver - PG Kemmy Business School Scholarships
- €4,000 - PG Science & Engineering Scholarships
- €2,000 - PG Science & Engineering Scholarships
- €2,000 - PG AHSS Scholarships
- €1,500 - PG Kemmy Business School Scholarships
- €1,500 - PG AHSS Scholarships